Sunday, November 13, 2011

Airport Roost

This post is for the Bird Photography Weekly.

When I kayaked around to the Airport Roost the other day most of the larger shorebirds had just flown off . They looked as if they were going in the direction of the Mullens Roost. The smaller and medium sized shorebirds were strung out along the strip of sand. These were mainly Grey-tailed Tattlers, Terek Sandpipers and Greenshanks.
Tattlers and Greenshanks standing next to each other made an interesting size comparison. Tattlers looked very much smaller.
There were also a few Pacific Golden Plovers.
At the far end of the strip of sandy beach there is a ridge of sand that runs out into deeper water. Often Eastern Curlews stand there out in the water.
It was surprising to also see some more Pacific Golden Plovers in the same area as most of the time I see them in areas of saltmarsh.

10 comments:

  1. Good to see all your "regulars" back, Mick.
    I have posted some "familiar" heath plants on my Blog tonight - for your benefit. Christmas Bells and other Heath plants.
    And a habitat shot.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  2. the plovers are so beautiful - such large eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great of the shorebirds Mick. Love those Pacific Golden Plovers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my favorite is the top photo. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah, you have been kayaking. Shows on your shots. :) Great ones. The plovers are my favorites all times. But I await your stilts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting post!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are some great captures. Very clean and focused.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always enjoy seeing your shore birds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks lovely and peaceful, Mick.

    (I think that's the first time I've seen a greenshanks' shanks looking green! But that could be because I'm not very observant.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful the pictures of shore birds!

    Thanks for your visiting and comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete